Northeastern’s award-winning digital newsroom is looking for a science reporter to bring audiences into the world of research and discovery at the university.
The ideal candidate finds joy in identifying and telling stories, excels at news writing, thinks creatively and collaboratively, and thrives in a fast-paced, innovative and multiplatform digital news operation. If you love science and can write about it in ways that make it easy for others to love it too, this job is for you.
You must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment. You must be able to communicate to other members of the team from the outset of a project, and help conceptualize not just the writing, but also the visual and digital presentation of stories.
You must be skilled at untangling complex scientific data and turning it into a well-researched, accurate, and captivating read for lay audiences. Our newsroom tells stories on multiple platforms, so you should be comfortable with using social media and various digital storytelling tools, including audio stories, podcasts, and video. You’ll be interacting with some of the world’s most accomplished scientists, most curious students, and most interesting storytellers in a fast-moving newsroom.
You must be an avid consumer of science news in general with a good sense of what is newsworthy and which trends are important. You must be comfortable telling stories in multiple formats, including well-researched articles, tweets, or talking to a newsroom full of colleagues.
You must be comfortable interviewing researchers from any field of science, as well as industry partners and funding agencies. You must be great at gathering important information, deciphering data, identifying unique news angles, and working with editors, photographers, data visualization artists, and video producers on how best to tell the story.
– Bachelor’s degree
– 3-5 years of experience in storytelling focused primarily on science and in a digital environment
– Excellent writing and copy-editing skills
– Excellent command of AP style
– Excellent sense of what is news
– Superb focus on detail and accuracy while maintaining speed
– Respect for short deadlines
– Comfort with current social media platforms and using them for storytelling
– Curiosity, flexibility, a sense of humor, and an excellent work ethic
– Love for problem solving, multitasking, and collaborating
Great if you also have:
– Master’s degree
– Experience with content management systems, WordPress in particular
– Newsroom experience
– Experience producing a podcast
You can find more information and apply for this job here.