Skip to content

Last-second goal by BU sends Beanpot final into overtime

Northeastern University battled Boston University in the 2020 Beanpot final. Photo by Ruby Wallau/Northeastern University

A last-second goal by Boston University sent the Beanpot final into overtime as freshman forward Trevor Zegras beat Northeastern goalie Craig Pantano to knot it up at 4-4.

BU coach Albie O’Connell pulled goalie Sam Tucker with a minute and thirty seconds left in the game. The Huskies held off the ensuing onslaught for several tense moments, but with less than a second to go, Zegras flipped the puck past an off-balance Patano to send the game into overtime.

BU carried the momentum from the buzzer-beating goal into the five-minute overtime, taking five shots on goal to Northeastern’s zero. But the Huskies’ defense, backed by Patano in goal narrowly held them off.

BU had moved to within a goal when junior defenseman David Farrance found the net early in the third period, narrowing Northeastern’s lead to 4-3 in the 68th Beanpot. 

The Huskies were unable to capitalize on the remains of a power play rolling over from the second period, and then immediately had a call against them, giving BU a one-man advantage for two minutes.

Less than a minute into the third, a low shot from Farrance deflected off the stick of Northeastern forward Brendan van Riemsdyk to find the back of the Husky net. The Terriers were now just one goal behind the Huskies.

Penalties continued to pile up in the period. BU’s Jake Wise shoved Northeastern’s Tyler Madden to the ice, putting the Huskies back on the power play moments later. The Terriers kept their cool and the score stayed 4-3 Huskies.

With just over 13 minutes to play, Biagio Lerario took a late hit into the boards from Zegras. One minute into that power play, a scrum over a loose puck in front of the BU net got tempers flaring. After the play, Sam Stevens, a forward for BU, went after Northeastern forward Zach Solow giving the Huskies a 5 on 3 advantage.

But the Terriers fought off the Huskies for another two minutes. The Huskies fended off multiple attacks from the BU offense through the rest of the period, including a diving stop as NU forward Grant Jozefek threw himself in front of a BU slapshot with two minutes to go.

The Huskies came out firing in the second period with four unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead over Boston University in the Beanpot Final.

Forward Tyler Madden put the Huskies on the scoreboard with his 18th goal of the season early in the second period,  and Aiden Mcdonough wristed another past BU goalie Ashton Abel as an offensive flurry put the Northeastern men in a 2-2 tie.

Zach Solow shot another over Abel’s right shoulder during a four on three power play, putting the Huskies into the lead for the first time halfway through the period.

A fourth goal came when Jozefek found the net at 8:37. The Huskies were on a roll and seemed unstoppable. BU coach Albie O’Connell pulled Abel from and put in Sam Tucker,  a graduate transfer from Yale who stopped all 17 shots Northeastern mustered for the remainder of regulation. 

With five and a half minutes left in the period, the Huskies found themselves once again on the penalty kill. This time, they were able to shut down the Terrier’s offense.

The Huskies almost scored a fifth time, but, in move that looked like it belonged in a baseball game, BU’s Robert Mastrosimone swatted the wobbling puck out of the air before it could cross into the goal.

The Huskies got a power play of their own after a tripping call against BU. But a call against the Terriers quickly put the teams at four on four. Neither team could capitalize, however. With 34 seconds to go, another call against BU gave the Huskies a four on three advantage, but they were unable to score.

The second-period offensive flurry came in stark contrast to the first period, when less than three minutes into the first period of the Beanpot, BU wing Matthew Quercia’s shot was blocked by Husky goalie Craig Patano, but the puck bounced loose. Jake Wise, playing center for the Terriers, was waiting to knock the loose puck into the back of the net.

At 13:36, Madden knocked Wise into the boards, earning a two-minute penalty. The Huskies, who have one of the top penalty-kill units in college hockey, managed to clear the puck twice, but with just over 30 seconds remaining, BU’s Zegras fired a wrister from the top of the circle to Patano’s right, beating the goalie over his left shoulder.

It was a frustrating first period for the Huskies, who managed just six shots on goal to BU’s 11. When Northeastern was able to go on the attack, they were unable to beat BU Abel.

The Huskies (15-8-2) are seeking a historic Beanpot three-peat against Boston University (10-9-7). Of the Huskies’ six consecutive Beanpot wins, half have come against the Terriers—which appeared to further BU’s resolve. Boston University is looking to extend its record with its 31st Beanpot championship.

As the puck dropped, the Northeastern pep band played a rousing rendition of 99 Red Balloons, the 1980s punk hit by Nena.

A win would give the Huskies a third straight Beanpot title for the first time in school history. A victory would also preserve a chance for Northeastern’s two ice hockey programs to sweep the city championships. 

The Northeastern women will be seeking their first Beanpot title since 2013 on Tuesday at 8 p.m., also against Boston University. They could produce Northeastern’s first sweep of both Beanpots in 32 years. 

Cookies on Northeastern sites

This website uses cookies and similar technologies to understand your use of our website and give you a better experience. By continuing to use the site or closing this banner without changing your cookie settings, you agree to our use of cookies and other technologies. To find out more about our use of cookies and how to change your settings, please go to our Privacy Statement.