Skip to content
  • Scientist discovers new antibiotic for fight against ‘superbugs’

    WBUR - 01/09/2015

    Antibiotics are among the most potent tools in public health, but across the globe, bugs are evolving resistance to our decades-old drugs.

    Now, Kim Lewis, a professor of molecular microbiology at Northeastern University, found a way to unlock the potential of not just a new antibiotic, but the entire world of bacteria growing in soil.

    Until now, scientists cultured only 1 percent of the bacteria that grows in the ground. These bacteria grow readily in Petri dishes in the lab, while the other 99 percent do not. “So these 99 percent, the vast majority,” says Lewis, “have been inaccessible to us for a very long time now.”

  • Cookies on Northeastern sites

    This website uses cookies and similar technologies to understand your use of our website and give you a better experience. By continuing to use the site or closing this banner without changing your cookie settings, you agree to our use of cookies and other technologies. To find out more about our use of cookies and how to change your settings, please go to our Privacy Statement.