How Big Data Will Transform IT Security
Forbes - 02/26/2013
In a recently published security brief, Big Data Fuels Intelligence Driven Security, experts from RSA, Northeastern University and Booz Allen Hamilton set out the components for a Big Data-oriented security management system:
- Set a holistic cyber-security strategy: Align security capabilities behind a holistic cyber security strategy customized for your organization’s specific risks, threats and requirements.
- Establish a shared data architecture for security information: A single architecture that allows all information to be captured, indexed, normalized, analyzed and shared is the logical goal.
- Migrate from point products to an unified security architecture: Think strategically about which security products you will use long term because each product will introduce its own data structure.
- Look for open and scalable Big Data security tools: Ensure that ongoing investments favor technologies using agile analytics-based approaches.
- Strengthen the Security Operations Center (SOC)’s data science skills: Data scientists with specialized knowledge in security are scarce, and will remain in high demand. Consider turning to outside partners to supplement internal security analytics capabilities.
- Leverage external threat intelligence: Augment internal programs with external threat intelligence services.