It’s a three-peat for Northeastern as Huskies down BU in double overtime

Northeastern defeated Boston University 5-4 in double overtime to win a third straight Beanpot championship. Photo by Ruby Wallau/Northeastern University

Northeastern won its third straight Beanpot final in dramatic fashion Monday with a 5-4 double-overtime victory over Boston University.

Nearly 15 minutes into the second overtime, Husky defenseman Jordan Harris beat BU goalie Sam Tucker with a low shot from just below the blue line.

The power play goal was the only shot to get past Tucker all night, but it was the only one the Huskies needed to take home the Beanpot championship for the third year in a row.

The TD Garden exploded with cheers from the Northeastern fans, who leapt to their feet chanting “Three-peat!”

The first three-peat in Northeastern men’s hockey history sets up the possibility of the first Husky sweep of both Beanpots in 32 years. The Northeastern women will be seeking their first Beanpot title since 2013 on Tuesday at 8 p.m., also against Boston University.

The Huskies took the lead in the second period and held it until a last-second goal by Boston University had sent the Beanpot final into overtime as the second goal from freshman forward Trevor Zegras knotted it up at 4-4.

BU coach Albie O’Connell had pulled Tucker with a minute and thirty seconds left in the game. The Huskies held off the ensuing onslaught for several tense moments, but with less than a second to go, Zegras flipped the puck past an off-balance Craig Patano to send the game into overtime.

BU carried the momentum from the buzzer-beating goal into the five-minute overtime, taking five shots on goal to Northeastern’s zero. But the Huskies’ defense, backed by Patano in goal narrowly held them off.

BU had moved to within a goal when junior defenseman David Farrance found the net early in the third period, narrowing Northeastern’s lead to 4-3 in the 68th Beanpot. 

The Huskies were unable to capitalize on the remains of a power play rolling over from the second period, and then immediately had a call against them, giving BU a one-man advantage for two minutes.

Less than a minute into the third, a low shot from Farrance deflected off the stick of Northeastern forward Brendan van Riemsdyk to find the back of the Husky net. The Terriers were now just one goal behind the Huskies.

Penalties continued to pile up in the period. BU’s Jake Wise shoved Northeastern’s Tyler Madden to the ice, putting the Huskies back on the power play moments later. The Terriers kept their cool and the score stayed 4-3 Huskies.

With just over 13 minutes to play, Husky senior forward Biagio Lerario took a late hit into the boards from Zegras. One minute into that power play, a scrum over a loose puck in front of the BU net got tempers flaring. After the play, Sam Stevens, a forward for BU, went after Northeastern forward Zach Solow giving the Huskies a 5 on 3 advantage.

But the Terriers fought off the Huskies for another two minutes. The Huskies fended off multiple attacks from the BU offense through the rest of the period, including a diving stop as NU forward Grant Jozefek threw himself in front of a BU slapshot with two minutes to go.

The Huskies came out firing in the second period with four unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead over Boston University in the Beanpot Final.

Forward Tyler Madden put the Huskies on the scoreboard with his 18th goal of the season early in the second period,  and Aiden Mcdonough wristed another past BU goalie Ashton Abel as an offensive flurry put the Northeastern men in a 2-2 tie.

Zach Solow shot another over Abel’s right shoulder during a four on three power play, putting the Huskies into the lead for the first time halfway through the period.

A fourth goal came when Jozefek found the net at 8:37. The Huskies were on a roll and seemed unstoppable. BU coach Albie O’Connell pulled Abel from and put in Sam Tucker, a graduate transfer from Yale who stopped all 17 shots Northeastern mustered for the remainder of regulation.

With five and a half minutes left in the period, the Huskies found themselves once again on the penalty kill. This time, they were able to shut down the Terrier’s offense.

The Huskies almost scored a fifth time, but, in move that looked like it belonged in a baseball game, BU’s Robert Mastrosimone swatted the wobbling puck out of the air before it could cross into the goal.

The Huskies got a power play of their own after a tripping call against BU. But a call against the Terriers quickly put the teams at four on four. Neither team could capitalize, however. With 34 seconds to go, another call against BU gave the Huskies a four on three advantage, but they were unable to score.

The second-period offensive flurry came in stark contrast to the first period, when less than three minutes into the first period of the Beanpot, BU wing Matthew Quercia’s shot was blocked by Husky goalie Craig Patano, but the puck bounced loose. Wise, playing center for the Terriers, was waiting to knock the loose puck into the back of the net.

At 13:36, Madden knocked Wise into the boards, earning a two-minute penalty. The Huskies, who have one of the top penalty-kill units in college hockey, managed to clear the puck twice, but with just over 30 seconds remaining, BU’s Zegras fired a wrister from the top of the circle to Patano’s right, beating the goalie over his left shoulder.

It was a frustrating first period for the Huskies, who managed just six shots on goal to BU’s 11. When Northeastern was able to go on the attack, they were unable to beat BU goalie Abel.